Friday, October 19, 2012

Sinful Colors Winter Shimmer Collection 2012

Hey all. I'm certainly not the first to post about these but I noticed that there weren't many swatches available of the new Sinful Colors Holiday Shimmers Collection. This collection is being released in drugstores right now for the Holiday 2012 season. Above is a picture of the display. I spotted these at my local Rite-Aid when I was wandering cosmetic "browsing" (shopping) between Open Skate and a late night movie. It was funny because when I got to the register to pay for them there was no cashier. There was a bell, but it was broken and it took me and another customer several minutes to find anyone to ring up our purchases. I was diligent though in the name of polish!

L-R: Superstar, Winter Wonder, Nova, Faceted

There are eight polishes in the collection but I only got four. I ended up picking out Superstar (1138), Winter Wonder (1142), Nova (1137) and Faceted (1139). There were one or two dupes in the collection, Queen of Beauty and one other that I can't remember the name of but is duped all over the place. 



L-R: China Glaze Smoke & Ashes, Sinful Colors Nova
When I first picked up Nova I thought it might be a dupe for China Glaze Smoke and Ashes from the Hunger Games collection. I bought it anyways because I love S&A and it was on sale (sucker, I know). 



L-R: China Glaze Smoke&Ashes (2 coats), Nova (2 coats), Nova (1 coat)

When I got home and swatched them however it was apparent that Nova is a dark blue jelly base whereas Smoke and Ashes is a black base. After two coats the difference is negligible but at one coat it is very obvious. With a good hand it would be possible to wear Nova at one coat, but I was hastily swatching for the sake of swatching. Two coats makes a beautiful night sky dark blue with glittery "stars" if you will. The glitter flashes green and gold. It's a very pretty polish and my favorite of the bunch maybe. Slightly more glittery than S&A in my opinion.



L-R: Faceted over Orly Liquid Vinyl, Faceted over Snow White, Faceted over Mesmerize

Above we have Faceted. I'm not usually a big fan of bar glitter but for some reason this one seemed really pretty in the bottle. Tiny blue hex glitter with duochrome gold and green bar glitter in a clear base. First I swatched it over a basic black, then a plain white. Over the white polish the bar glitter seems to disappear. Last I swatched this over Sinful Colors Mesmerize (1128) which I think is from the "Enchanted" collection. This was my favorite combination out of all of them and probably my next mani! The light blue glitter over the  dark eggplant polish is really pretty. It's a slightly softer look than layering over black. 



Top: Winter Wonder, Bottom: Super Star
Last we have Winter Wonder and Super Star. Winter wonder is a gorgeous dark silvery shimmer with tiny flecks of gold and blue. This polish had an excellent formula and two coats was enough.Super Star is blue and purple hex glitter with tiny irregularly shaped blue flakies in a blue jelly base (mouthful right?). There's another polish in this collection that looks similar but with pink glitter, but it's been part of the standard display for some time so many of you will already have that one. Super Star builds up to full opacity with 3 coats and dries relatively rough but that problem could be solved with Gelous or another thick top coat. I like to use Sally Hansen Insta-Dri top coat over glitters like these. I left the swatches free of top coat however. 

So that's it. I heard Sinful Colors was shutting down their factory and laying off their workers so you never know this collection might be their last. As far as quality goes I have to say I would miss them if they were gone though especially at the price!





No comments:

Post a Comment