Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Unboxing Urban Decay's Vice Palette


I am a sucker for all things Urban Decay. It's probably the only brand of makeup my husband can name because I talk his ear off about how I want this or that new palette. So when the Vice Palette launched I just knew I had to get it. Why? Because limited edition palettes from UD are my vice (like many of you I'm sure).
It sealed the deal when I heard the list of colors. Occupy? Anonymous? Be still my little left-wing heart.
Outer Box
I like to see palette unboxing(s) because there are frequently knock-off palettes made but the one thing they never seem to do exactly right is the packaging. They almost always skip some step. If you look on Ebay right now you'll probably find fifty sets of the "Naked" and "Naked2" palette being sold in sketchy beige boxes. Not legit. Sad too because people are paying legit money for them.

Inside there is a foam insert which protects the jeweled UD lettering

Up Close

Special Push Button Thing

Vice Palette open
And here she is in all her glory. The shades are (from top left to bottom right): Desperation, Muse, Jagged, Blitz, Penny Lane, Junkie, Chaos, Occupy, Unhinged, Black Market, Provacoteur, Rapture, Vice, Noise, Armor, Nevermind, Echo Beach, Anonymous, Freebird, and Laced. These all claim to be new shades but some are fairly close to some other UD colors you might have if you have older palettes. For example Noise is pretty similar to Woodstock except Noise has better formula. These all have the new formulation so that's something to consider if you're debating picking this palette up.

I recently noticed that UD released a Book of Shadows III Redux which is apparently like BOS III but with a few shades replaced. I considered getting it since it was $39 and a good value but I couldn't justify it having just purchased the Vice Palette. I'm glad I got the Vice Palette though because they're sold out near me already and I would gladly take the newer formula shadows over the vintage ones. Also the color I reeeeeally wanted from BOS III was Kush and they  took that one out and replaced it with Mildew, ugh....rambling.

So, I've used the Vice palette several times now and it's safe to say I am happy with my purchase. I love the little push-button opening mechanism. It slowly lifts the lid until the mirror is in full view, or at least mine does I've heard complaints. The double sided mini Good Karma brush is nifty and not at all too small to do the job. The shadows are smooth and most have good payoff. The only dud color is Jagged. The packaging is sturdy although it collects fingerprints and smudges quickly. Nowhere near as bad as the velvet casings though IMO. I've been really loving the color Muse in this collection. It's a shimmery brown shadow and is a great neutral for my skin tone and not a repeat from either of the Naked palettes. My favorite, favorite, favorite color in this palette though is of course Chaos the bright blue matte color. I could wear that color everyday although it would probably be inappropriate.I'm already the cray-cray mommy at play dates. It's the perfect color for roller derby though!

I give this palette an A, but I was bound to be biased because I eyed this palette for weeks and am a UD fiend.

Have any of you guys picked up this palette? Whaddya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment